Tape Op's original subtitle still probably says it best: The Creative Music Recording Magazine. Tape Op is about learning how to make great recordings with whatever tools you have access to. They interview engineers, producers and musicians who are making great recordings, sitting down and talk with them at length and then run long, in-depth interviews. The reader becomes, in essence, the "tape op" hanging out in the studio and learning the trade from the seasoned vets working in the studio.
Unlike most recording magazines, Tape Op's primary focus is not on reviewing equipment. They want to discuss making art.
The December/January '23 issue includes pieces on:
- Tegan and Sara—co-producing their new LP Crybaby
- John Plymale—Superchunk, Meat Puppets, The Connells
- Metric—Jimmy Shaw on recording their music
- Clarke Rigsby—Paul McCartney, Lee Hazelwood, Jimmy Smith
- Xenia Rubinos—Una Rosa, Black Terry Cat, studio & spirit
- The Boxmasters—Billy Bob Thornton & J.D. Andrew
- Gaelynn Lea—violins, looping, Macbeth on Broadway
- Gear reviews
- ...and more!