PRIVACY & DATA
Updated 30 May 2018
Many items in this policy have been recommended "best practices" among e-commerce websites for years now, and we have long been straightforward about our own practices in turn. Following the European Union's introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP) on 25 May 2018, many of these "best practices" have now become legal standards that center explicit user consent and provide much-needed personal data protection. We think the GDRP rules, and now offer you a detailed rundown of how we do things here.
WHEN YOU VISIT OUR SITE
We automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. This automatically-information helps us make informed decisions about the needs of our customer base, and we refer to it as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
WHEN YOU PLACE AN ORDER WITH US
When you place an order with us or attempt to make a purchase through our Site, we collect your email, phone number, and billing and shipping address. We refer to this information as “Order Information.”
If you happen to place items in your cart but then abandon your checkout process, we will send you a one-time reminder email suggesting to complete your purchase.
All credit card and payment information is handled by our third-party payment gateway processors, specifically PayPal Express Checkout and Shopify Payments. We are unable to view or collect your credit card information as a result, and therefore please rest assured that this info is secure and encrypted at all times.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfill any orders placed through our Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations, and one-time solicitations for customer service and/or product reviews). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud
- Make informed business decisions regarding, for example, who likes to shop with us frequently and what regions people who shop with us are from, for the purpose of improving our product selection, loyalty program, etc.
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
WHO ELSE HAS ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above.
- We use Shopify to power our online store – you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
- We use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site –you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Finally, we('ve never done so but) may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
SOCIAL MEDIA & TRACKING
You should know that social media platforms like Facebook, Pinterest, Google, and Twitter (to name a few) are in the business of collecting your browsing and buying habits and selling that data to all kinds of other entitites. Prior to GDRP enforcement, it's been standard practice that by using your social media accounts, you consented to your browsing and purchasing history being tracked/recorded. These social media platforms then turned around and offer these "insights" to paying, interested parties, for the purpose of better marketing to you, their user. Many social media platforms still do this, requiring your consent as a condition of using their service.
Because Omoi Zakka Shop utilizes Shopify to run our online store, and because we also have social media accounts through Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Wanelo, and Tumblr (phew), we are frequently offered access to demographics data provided by the online behavior tracking practices of these social media platforms.
The relation between all this and your time on our website is that your browsing & buying behavior here may be tracked by any social media platform you may participate on. If that creeps you out (it kinda creeps us out), we recommend doing a web search for how to install anti-tracking and "opt out" browser plugins, as well as changing the privacy and browsing settings within your individual social media accounts.
We do not currently use targeted advertising, but we'd like you to know that you can still opt-out of the following services with just a few clicks:
- FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- GOOGLE - https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- BING - https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
DO NOT TRACK
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
When you place an order through our Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
If you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the following address:
1608 Pine Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19103, United States